Digital Economy (Smart Cities & Smart Regions)
Since 2016 we have explored smart cities via our “Future Towns, Future Cities” program, various events and via our experiences with the Commonwealth’s, Smart Cities and Suburbs Program and City Deals. The use of technology and data to be more effective and efficient to deliver greater community wellbeing outcomes emerged as the key theme.
The former MLGG, now GAROC have sponsored the following Smart Cities initiatives:
- The Smart Communities Workshop in 2017;
- MLGG Smart Cities Snapshot (University of Adelaide Smart Cities Consortium) 2018
- The Lord Mayor’s Smart Cities Summit 2018; and
- The Smart Cities Workshop 2018.
- Metropolitan Local Government Smart Cities Officers’ Network
- Employment of a part-time Smart Cities Project Officer
On Wednesday 29 May 2019 at LG House, “Going Smart. Smart Cities Framework for Metropolitan Adelaide” was launched.
Although the term smart cities has been used the framework can be used by metropolitan AND regional councils starting their smart cities journey through to those that are further advanced; as it is a communication tool and a resource that describes the guiding smart cities principles to assist councils embed in their planning, administration and operations. The framework has been developed in consultation with the Metropolitan Local Government Smart Cities Officers Network and makes the LGA SA the local government leader in smart cities in Australia.
The LGA SA is the first LGA in Australia to produce a smart cities framework. Please click here to download the smart cities framework.